The Athletic Club of Overland Park offers yoga in Kansas City 6 days a week.
Yoga originated in ancient India and didn’t start to become popular in the United States until about the 1930s. However, yoga’s popularity really started to take off in the 1960s we pop-culture icons (such as the Beatles) started practicing it.
With all of the incredible health and fitness benefits yoga has to offer it is no wonder that now yoga is essentially a sensation in the United States.
Thanks to the Huffington Post the Athletic Club of Overland Park is able to bring you 8 reasons why yoga is great for you!
1. Lowers stress and improves your mood
- – meditation techniques used during yoga help your mind slow down and subdues the rapid pace of your thoughts. This relieves stress and helps you feel relaxed.
2. Boosts confidence
- – The act of meditation can boost your confidence by releasing tension from your mind, allowing you to feel confident about your physical body
3. Lower risk of injury
- – Unlike running and other rapid paced exercises, yoga moves at a slower pace. Fast paced exercises ofter result in muscle imbalances which eventually lead to injury, yoga focuses on reducing these imbalances and therefore reducing your risk of injury.
4. Helps you lose weight
- – One of the major causes of weight gain is stress. Through practicing yoga and reducing your stress level you make it easier for your body to loose weight naturally.
5. Increases flexibility-
- Yoga is great because it safely stretches your muscles as well as other soft tissue in the body such as ligaments and tendons. When you increase your flexibility you also increase the range of motion in your joints, allowing you to move more freely.
6. Improves muscle tone and strength
- – Many yoga positions have a profound affect on your upper body strength and your core. Similarly, standing poses strengthen your upper leg muscles and lower back. Yoga is a great way to improve muscles without lifting weights or using machinery.
7. Benefits breathing and lowers blood pressure
- -Practicing yoga regularly increases your lung capacity—resulting in an improved stamina and endurance level. Furthermore, through meditation in yoga your heart rate decreases which in turn lowers your blood pressure.
8. Improves your posture
- – As you build muscle tone and strength, loose weight, and become more flexible, you will find that your posture also improves.Since your abdominals and back muscles can now fully support your weight, you will be able to sit and stand tall, preventing niggling injuries, aches and pains.
Don’t wait any longer! Attend a yoga class at the Athletic Club of Overland Park today.
(Click here to view our schedule)
Read the original story here