Find out how you can fight high blood pressure with these tips from Overland Park Gym, The Athletic Club!
High blood pressure occurs when your heart goes into overdrive to get your blood throughout your body. It can cause major problems for you down the road if you don’t get it under control, including increasing your chances of getting heart disease.
- Exercise 5-7 days per week- This gets your heart pumping and also helps to counter issues caused by office jobs that require extended periods of sitting.
- Limit alcohol intake- Excessive drinking can cause your blood pressure to rise. Instead, drink in self-restraint.
- Limit your salt intake- The easiest way to do this is by cutting down on foods that are processed. Be sure to read labels to find out how much sodium you are really consuming.
- Consider your medications- Some medications can cause a rise in your blood pressure. Talk to your doctor about your options if this is happening with you.
- Reduce your stress- Stress can cause a rise in blood pressure so consider ways to reduce stress, including deep-breathing, meditation, or another relaxing activity.
- Look into your genetics- Blood pressure can be affected by genetics. If this is common in your family, talk to your doctor about preventative measures to reduce your risk.
- Stop smoking- Smoking in any amount can cause a rise in blood pressure. The best way to reduce this is to stop smoking.
- Eat your fruits & veggies- A good diet can lead to lower blood pressure!
- Get checkups- As you get older, be sure to get regular checkups to keep an eye on your blood pressure.
We hope you enjoyed these tips from Overland Park gym, The Athletic Club! Thanks to Fitness Magazine for the great information!