The popularity of Kansas City badminton is definitely on the rise. Here in Overland Park, The Athletic Club is is helping all Kansas City badminton players gather to play their beloved sport. For those of you who aren’t familiar with badminton, let’s just say it’s no longer “your mama’s game”. Kansas City badminton is actually quite competitive and there is a huge following of Kansas City badminton players in our neck of woods (Southern Kansas City). Here’s a list of facts you probably never knew about the sport of Badminton:
1) The badminton shuttlecock is hit at speeds exceeding 200 mph, making it the fastest paced sport using rackets.
2) Traditionally, the shuttlecock is made with goose feathers instead of plastic. Competitive players would prefer the goose feather shuttlecock, but it’s too pricey for most.
3) It’s thought that badminton is probably the most popular sport in the world, second only to soccer/futbol.
4) China and Indonesia have dominated the competitive badminton scene, comprising more than 70% of international title wins.
5) Kansas City badminton players ought to know this one! The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, Missouri is home to the world’s largest shuttlecocks, built in the early 1990s and funded by the Sosland family. The shuttlecocks are made of aluminum and reinforced plastics. Each shuttlecock is about 17 feet long, with the appropriate dimensions of a real shuttlecock. It is about 48 times larger than your average competitive play badminton shuttlecock.
Remember! The Athletic Club of Overland Park hosts leagues and events for our Kansas City badminton players. Call us today for more information.