Squats are the king of lower body exercises. This type of exercise work not only the lower body but the upper body as well.
This great exercise has some amazing benefits:
- They are superior for fat burning and toning your legs and buttocks
- Squats can improve your flexibility and muscle build
- Doing squats deliver nutritious oxygen to your tissues increasing the blood flow while preventing cellulite from forming in your body
- Squats strengthen the surrounding muscles around your knees and hips and help you enjoy better posture while strengthening your spine, improving your balance and making daily tasks easier
- Squats increase your by entire body strength by building your core muscles
To do a proper squat, you need to remember the following things:
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart toes facing forward
- Place your hands on your hips gaze upwards and lift your chest high
- Bend your knees and lower your hips to a 90 degree angle sitting back and make sure your knees do not go past your toes
- Keep in mind that form is very important and if you have a tendency to lean forward you might benefit by putting a weight plate under your heels as your flexibility improves.
- Rise up press down through your heels and return to starting position
- Repeat 15 to 20 times for 2 to 3 sets
The great thing about squats is that you can do them anywhere and you do not need any equipment! As you get stronger, you can add variety by using dumbbells, a barbell or kettle bells to perform different variations and sculpt your ideal physique.